Latest message you have seen: RE: X10 scripting in HAL

Re: Serial protocol questions

  • Subject: Re: Serial protocol questions
  • From: ben@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:52:58 -0000

You make several compelling points. I do agree it might be best to
have a polling environment.

I do also think that all HA items should share a similar protocol
schema. That was the precipitous of my question.

Its sound like the RS485 network should have one standard protocol,
possibly similar to that of xpl, and then interface via a host PC to
xpl.

So then, what protocol would work best? Is there a dominant one to
consider in the HA market?

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Neil Wrightson" <neilw@n...>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have done a lot of comms work in the past, both RS232 and RS485.
> RS485 really has to be a polled environment I.e. a master with
polled
> slaves. I'm only just starting to look at Xpl at this stage and it
appears
> that the heartbeat is a rather critical aspect to this protocol.
> I believe that the RS485 master should be aware of all of it's
slaves and
> that the master sends a heartbeat to it's master xXPLHAL??) for
its self and
> each of its slaves.
> Perhaps xPLHAL should advise the master 485 device what slaves it
should be
> talking to and what there functionality is.
>
> To me part of the question is, should the RS485 network try to
emulate xPL
> or as suggested just use a proprietary protocol. I already have
proprietary
> protocols in place so this would be easier.
> But,
> In my house I do not want to have multiple RS485 networks with
separate
> proprietary protocols. I will probably end up making most of my own
> hardware, but who knows I may wish to buy somebody else's 485
hardware item
> I.e. RFID and connect it onto my network. This wont work if we all
have
> separate 485 protocols.
>
> I think one of the early on questions is, What is the master? Is
it part of
> xPLHAL I.e. a PC is the master or should there be a separate
standalone
> master that talks to HAL via another serial connection. If XPLHAL
is the
> master we need somebody that can handle the 485 comms on the PC
I.e. Rx,Tx

<http://www.xplproject.org.uk>
<http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk>
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> xPL Links: http://www.xplproject.org.uk
<http://www.xplproject.org.uk>
> http://www.xplhal.com <http://www.xplhal.com>
http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk
> <http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk>
>

>   _____
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> *	To visit your group on the web, go to:
>

> *	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>

> *	Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service
.