rio Boot Problem (newbee)

I am trying out xPLRioNet and xPLHal for the first time this weekend.
Most things make sense and work, but I do have one problem:

My Rio Receivers do not want to boot and get stuck with a "DELL
Initializing" message on the front panel.  I have removed power and
retryed several times.

Trying just one of the boxes at a time (a Sonic Blue), the server sees
the unit, the unit responds to a ping, but it won't complete
initialization and does not seem to produce the "config" xPL
message
or status.

I don't see any IP conflict or other network problem.  I suppose that
I could capture packets, but I am not sure what to look for.

Searching the archive, I don't see a record of anyone having a similar
problem.  Are there any known incompatibilities with differnt bios
versions of the Rio receivers?  (It is curious that I have a Sonic and
a Dell box both having the same problem.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks