Re: Re: xPLRioNet v3.9 Published

> Also can I request a feature to the scanner. I don't often change my
> music library but the videos change alot as things get constantly
> recorded. Currently for any video to show up you have to do a scan
which
> takes ages as it does all the music as well,  can you add a video only
> scan or ideally don't do any scans for videos and just read the
> directory on the fly.

James raises some valid points that apply to music as well as videos IMO -
i.e. if you only want to add/delete a couple of tracks, you need to do a
scan of the whole music library, which can take ages.
Also, if you just add some extra shoutcasts to streams.xml, you need to do
a library scan to get them picked up.

Ideally, if someone adds a new MP3, or movie, to their library, xPLRioNet
should pick it up instantly.

And here's how....

Check out the FileSystemWatcher class.
It can monitor a directory structure for things like new files, deletion of
files, changes to files etc.
Even works on network drives.

So, as soon as someone dropped a new file into their library, xPLRioNet
would have an event raised, and would be able to add/update the database
accordingly.

I know some of the guys at work have used the FileSystemWatcher before, and
it's worked well - it may be worth you giving it a try TOny.

It's probably not a substitute for the nightly full scan, but for users
with constantly changing collections of music or videos, it could offer a
neat solution.

Regards,

John