Re: xPLRioNet Web/xPL Implementation of Movies and Pictures

  • Subject: Re: xPLRioNet Web/xPL Implementation of Movies and Pictures
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:07:15 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@t...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Looking for some feedback on how to implement Movies and Pictures
in the web
> interface and xPL
>
> These are my thoughts:
>
> Firstly xPL and Pictures
> ------------------------
>
> The the ability to display a picture via an xpl message could be
useful?

Definitely - aside from the webcam support that you added directly to
xplRionet (but which could be moved out with this support), apps
could generate an image and send it to provide a weather display,
report xPL activity in a nice graphical form, fake a screensaver
(sending a sequence of images) and I'm sure many other things too.

> I see little point in xplrionet sending out xpl status messages
when a
> picture is displayed? Except perhaps as a confirmation response to
an xpl
> command to display a picture (i.e. if showing picture from remote
don't send
> xpl, if displaying as a result of an xlp message then do send a
response)?

I think it should be more the other way round - anything that happens
because of non-xPL input (ie MVP remote control) should generate an
xpl message.  So for example if I'm browsing my photos, there should
be a message sent each time a new one is selected for viewing.  In
fact, to keep things consistant, an xPL message may as well be sent
no matter what the cause.

> Secondly xPL and Movies
> -----------------------
>
> I guess this should send a message when a movie starts/stops?
>
> And again be able to start/stop a movie via xPL command?

Definitely.  Again, xpl control would allow a more interesting screen
saver (ie a movie) for starters.  You could also make a video alarm
clock.

> Thirdly Web interface and Movies/Pictures
>
> I see this as a two pronged attack.
>
> On the MVP client web side at first it seems that you should be
able to
> control the movies and pictures from the web interface. But does
this really
> make sense? To be of any use you need to be in front of the MVP/TV
so why
> would you be using the web interface??? Thoughts?

The only time I could see someone wanting a web interface for the MVP
is if they wanted to control the audio without turning the TV on -
perhaps if you're using a laptop in that room, and want to change the
music.  However, that's already there.  Movies and pictures require
the screen to be on, so there's no point in having a web interface at
all.

> What I do think would be great would be to have 2 dummy clients on
the index
> 'Movies' and 'Pictures'. This would allow users to browse their
pictures and
> display them on the web interface, and browse and play movies thru
their
> prefered media player on the PC, thereby providing a 'virtual' mvp
for those
> who don't have/want one?
>
> What navigation view(s) would users prefer for these 'virtual' mvps?

That might be useful for some people.  After all, the point (I
believe) of xplRioNet is to provide a single media server with a
consistant interface, rather than having to install different (and
possibly conflicting) software for each device.  Providing a desktop
movie / picture / music player or support for existing ones is a
natural extension of that.  My preference for navigation would be MVP
style browsing of movies/picture folders with thumbnails.

> Please let me know your thoughts on these items, as I'd like to get
this
> side of things implemented.
>
> Once this is done, we can concentrate on known issues and then
prepare for
> the first 'full release'. We can then look at further enhancements.

Just to summarise my view of the xPL side:

1) xplRioNet should send status messages to report all applicable
transport events (start, stop, pause etc) involving all the media
types, along with the name of the media file involved.

2) For consistancy the messages should be sent no matter what the
trigger.

3) There is no need to report browsing activity.

4) It should also be possible to request the current status (name of
file being displayed, playing/stopped etc)

5) xplRioNet should also respond to xPL commands for all the
transport controls - play/stop/pause/fwd/rew/next/prev - with any
type of media file.  I'm not sure how we define the path to that
media file - perhaps relative to a root folder that is specified in
xplRioNet.xml?

Mal