RE: xPLRioNet Status Update

  • Subject: RE: xPLRioNet Status Update
  • From: "UKHA" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:23:25 +0100

On 06/02/2005 at 08:31 Tony Tofts wrote:

>Rio can now play ogg natively - but this is currently disabled as it
>effects
>the ability to have TTS announcements while playing an ogg track.
Cannot
>currently add flac natively as the sheer size of the files means I
can't
>pump the data fast enough to keep the buffers full... Will look into
this
>further (my sample flac file is 5x the size of the mp3 it was cut from
- is
>this typical?)

Yes, a FLAC encoded track should be much much bigger. The problem is going
from mp3 to FLAC is, unless you are using 320kb mp3 encoding, a waste. FLAC
is lossless encoding, so from CD Track to FLAC you should get a very good
reproduction (better than 320kb mp3) but it'll be bigger, because less is
'thrown away'.

The simplest way to show why the file is bigger when going from mp3 to
FLAC, is to convert your mp3 to a WAV.. it'll be the size of the original
track (with none of the extra clarity)

Andy