Re: Email Test & Introduction

  • Subject: Re: Email Test & Introduction
  • From: "Tom Van den Bon" <tvdbon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:23:33 -0000

> I've done about the same -- built an HA system on custom protocols
and am
> now replacing it with xPL stuff.  In fact, even the same on the touch
> screens (can read the overview here http://www.cdp1802.org/touch and
about
> the recent refit I did here http://www.cdp1802.org/house/Automation

Way cool, I like the way the touch screens are built into the wood.
And that is exactly what I'm trying to do.

> The xPL GUI module I mentioned back is pretty much meant to be the
> replacement for the software in the touch screens now (which is a
> combination of Kylix (so technically there is an xPL4Kylix
implementation
> out there), C and C++).  But while the current app was custom built
for my
> place, I want to create a more general engine for the next version.
Not
> only so I can share it with others, but because it'll make
> creating/adjusting it a lot easier (I currently don't like making
changes
> because the rebuild process is tedious and hard to automate).
Well, you current interface looks pretty good, and I would be very
interested in seeing the new one you are working on. The frontend I
created for my university project was done with freevo, because it
runs suprisingly good and its easy to change code with python being
scripts, etc. Most of the software that I write for my HA is mostly
already available on the net, but I have been scratched by the HA bug
and unfortunately my financial status doesn't really allow me to get
all kinds of HA hardware, so I currently I satisfy my HA needs by
coding cool applications. So one day when I grow up and can afford
this hardware, I'll have all the cool software available.

> You wouldn't happen to be fascinated by RGBLEDs (www.rgbled.org)
Very very cool, I think of some nice uses for this. I however don't
have the hardware for building this, are you planning on selling these
as finished products? Programming them and controlling them from the
pc seems pretty easy.

> or
> ReplayTV-PC integration (www.dvarchive.org) would you? :-)
Looks interesting, but I'm not to sure what exactly ReplayTV is? Is it
something like a Tivo?

Regards,
Tom