Re: Newbie Question

I just spent 30 minutes struggling through this problem before doing a
search on configuration and finding this thread.  Is there something I
missed in the project documentation that would have pointed me to this
solution in XP SP2?  I'm sure it would be helpful.
Respectfully,
Jared

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, <mkanet@y...> wrote:
> I got it all working!!  Thanks IAN!
>
> Very strange... even though never had Windows Firewall enabled,
adding the
> below mentioned exception worked!  After doing that, I was able to
use CM12
> gateway and everything works correctly, including the web interface,
> xPLASPSend, and x10send.
>
> Maybe, in a future cm12 installer release, the installer can check
to see if
> you have SP2 installed, then add the necessary exclusions.
>
> Anyway, thank you so much for such a great product!  It looks like
now I can
> have some fun!
>
> PS: CM11 does not work for me, only CM12
>
> -Michael

Behalf
> Of Ian Lowe
> Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:05 AM
> To: ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [ukha_xpl] Newbie Question
>
> > Okay, first, I would like to apologize for calling it buggy
software.
> It was just
> > frustrated that the installation went so smoothly, Cm12 was
detected,
> I was able to turn
> > on and off the devices I added.  However, it just stopped working
> without any changes to > my system in less than 5 minutes.
>
> Thanks - now, lets find out why :D
>
> > This following information might help:
> > When I install the Hal (after removing all that is mentioned
above), I
> tell it to load
> > all plugins, then exit.  When I go back into the Hal, I do NOT
see
> anything in "awaiting
> > devices".  The first time I installed the app, it had
detected the
> device with no
> > problems.  NOTE:  This is even BEFORE installing the CM12
Gateway.

> First a wee explanation - the plugins allow xplhal manager to
configure
> the devices it finds, you can usually see the devices without
> downloading plugins, you just can't configure them!
>
> > So, the problem happens before I even install the gateway I
think.
> What would prevent
> > hal from seeing the device (in awaiting devices)?
>
> This is a fairly common XP SP2 issue - in order to get xPL working
> properly, you need to do two things - These are basic instructions, so
> please don't be offended if I seems to be describing simple things in
> detail.
>
> Start > Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network
Connections

> Right click on your Local Area Connection, do Properties, Advanced
>
> Beside Windows Firewall, click "Settings" - the Windows
Firewall
> settings will appear.
>
> Click the "exceptions" tab, and "Add Program"
Browse to the xPLHal
> folder, and select the xPLHal.exe program. Click OK
>
> Now Click "Add Port" - name, "xPL", Port 3865, UDP
Then OK
> Again, click "Add Port" - name "XHCP", Port 3865,
TCP then OK again.