xPLMediaNet - How to deal with Various Artist Albums

  • Subject: xPLMediaNet - How to deal with Various Artist Albums
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:53:09 +0100

Hi all,

Have an issue I'd like to get some feedback/comments on please?

Rather stupidly I haven't addressed the issue of Albums with multiple
artists...

The issue is that when doing something based on album (e.g. jukebox mode)
if
an album has multiple artists it will appear multiple times...

My thought is to add a new field that holds the 'Artist for the Album'.
i.e.
if an album has multiple artists this field will contain 'Various' rather
than the actual artist

But this has issues:

A) 2 artists might have albums with the same names, and therefore be
wrongly
flagged as various

B) some albums by a single artist, have tags containing extra names on some
tracks...

My thought is to totally ignore issue 'B', the user should tidy their tags
;-)

But 'A' is a major issue I think?

I guess it would be possible to work to a rule like 'if an album has 3 or
more tracks by same artist then treat as an album by that artist, else
treat
it as various'

I'm sure there are going to be exceptions to the rule, so wondered if
anyone
has any other suggestions or thoughts please?

Many thanks
Tony