Re: Brt/Dim commands through W800 X-10 receiver

  • Subject: Re: Brt/Dim commands through W800 X-10 receiver
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:04:43 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "kirstglen1" <glen.ferguson@o...>
wrote:

> Does anyone know how I can distinguish between different brt/dim
> commands. Currently when I detect a Brt or dim command it is
received
> as a house code brt/dim not an individual module brt/dim. ie all A
brt
> instead of A3. When I program the A3 brt directly xPL does not
> recognise it. I use the same remote directly into Homevision and
it
> says that the command is a house brt/dim but only the individual
unit
> responds.

That's just how X10 is defined - the BRIGHT/DIM messages sent down
the powerline only contain a housecode, with no unit code.

In X10 (not xPL) messages, you send addresses and functions
separately - so you can send the sequence address A1, address A2,
function DIM A, and both A1 and A2 will dim.

To do the same in xPL (I pretty sure this works), you would specify
the message body thus:

x10.basic
{
command=dim
device=a1,a2
}

RF remotes always sent complete X10 messages (address+function), so
this kind of multiple addressing doesn't work unless scripted
somehow in xPLHal.

When using the RF commands, you don't have to tie yourself to
treating them as the same thing as what goes down the powerline -
they are completely independent communications systems.  So if a
determinator is triggered by B2 On from the W800, you don't have to
send B2 On to the CM12 - you can send A1,A2,A3 Off if you want!

> My second problem is that I receive these commands and then send
an X-
> 10 command to Homevision. The W800 seems to recieve about 5
commands
> per button press and correspondingly sends 5 brt/dim commands. Is
> there any way of filtering this to only send one X-10 brt/dim
command
> per sequence?

Although the W800RF32 device does filter most duplicate messages, it
doesn't filter DIM/BRIGHT.  This is deliberate - if it were to
filter those messages, dimming would be very much slower via a PC
and xPL than if just using a TM13 transceiver.

Mal