RE: Re: xPL Monitor: triple msgs

  • Subject: RE: Re: xPL Monitor: triple msgs
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:31:07 -0000

> Maybe - but remember that we're dealing with a broadcast protocol
intended for LANs, so it's
> unlikely that firewalls would need to be traversed.

Hi guys -

Nice to see some more development kicking off :D

Just to clarify some of the design decisions made back in the dawn of
time...

For normal internal usage, UDP Broadcast is the transport of choice -
normally, xPL should not ever traverse a firewall... If that needs to
happen, then a TCP tunnel between two nodes is formed, and the UDP
messages relayed through this point to point link - we actually have TCP
port 3865 assigned to us as well, for just such a reason.

(Tony and I built an xPL bridge that uses blowfish encryption across the
link just for added sexiness ;) )

As for pick your own port... Perhaps I'm a bit of a purist, (read, I
work with firewalls a lot) but folks just diregarding the IANA rules and
using any old port they fancy is one of the banes of my life!

It's very much a case of open source rules - if folks want to build code
that uses another port, then vive la liberte, but it's not something I
would choose to do...

I.