Re: xPL newbie needs a _gentle_ push in the right direction...

  • Subject: Re: xPL newbie needs a _gentle_ push in the right direction...
  • From: Steve Cooper
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:05:00 +0000

> Just getting into this xPL melarkey - totally missed the boat it
seems...
> The devices I would like to control initially are Tivo (OSD),
Slimp3 and Homevision.

Not at all, we have loads of stuff to offer but at the same time
still lots more to come.

> So far I have got as far as installing .NET framework (v 1.1) and
xPLHal (v 1.4) but haven't changed any settings yet.
> I have also downloaded xPL_Homevision (Beta) from gadgetshed.co.uk
but I have no idea how to integrate this.

If you run the xpl manager program you will get the main xplhal
control interface. The next step is to run the xPL Homevision
program (you should see the HV application have DDE message received
OK from other application on the bottom status line).

This will then appear under devices-Awaiting Configuration in the
manager (as GSHED-HV). You need to give it a new instance so double
click on it and a dialog box should appear you need to change the
newconf label. I always change the instance to the name of the PC
the application is running on e.g. PC1, Homeauto.

Once you have done this the device should appear under devices. Make
sure you have reporting enabled in HV then goto tools-xpl monitor and
you can see the messages coming from homevision.

If you want to run a test macro in HV go to tool send xpl-message

message type = command
source=left as is
target=*
schema=control.basic
then the following name=parameter combinations

DEVICE=1 (number of macro)
TYPE=MACRO
CURRENT=DO

this will then run macro number 1. It's worth keeping the monitor
open to see the messages going back and forth. xpl HV will send back
a CONTROL.CONFIRM message to confirm it received and processed your
request.

> Any help or links to "The Manual" (RTFM!) greatly
appreciated.

There are some how to's on www.xplproject.org.uk under documentation
but let us know what you thought is missing. We will be adding more
documents as time goes on.

S.