HomeAutomator and xPL

  • Subject: HomeAutomator and xPL
  • From: Graham Howe
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:14:00 +0000

After months of doing basically bugger all on the software side (been
busy with a whole house lighting rewire) I am now starting to think
again about how I want to control things. As some of you will know,
the HomeAutomator front end basically communicates with HomeVision
using a connector developed by Andy. The syntax for the communication
is very easy

set X10 = createobject("Homeautomator.hvc_X10")
x10.turnon "C1",True
set X10 = nothing

I have all of this parameterised within the HomeAutomator database
and the intention was always to simply add more 'classes' to allow
connection with other 'connectors'.

After browsing Tony's site, I found the following xPL_DevS.zip, and
in the documentation:

xpl.SendMsg(msgtype,target,schema,msgbody)

This is effectively the same format as the commands sent to Andy's
HomeVision connector, so as far as I can tell, HomeAutomator is
already capable of supporting xPL.

All I need to know is how to create the xPL_DevS object and then I
can add the associated commands and parameters to the database. I
shouldn't have to change any of my code!

If I do get this working then I would certainly like to incorporate
some xPL stuff in my demo at UKHA2004. It would also spur me on to
get back to HomeAutomator development which would be no bad thing!