Re: HALManager idea ?

  • Subject: Re: HALManager idea ?
  • From: Robert Welsh
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:57:00 +0000

> Basically a determinator is just a set of conditions and actions,
represented
in an XML file.
> The manager provides a GUI for editing/creating determinators, with
the help
of the plug-ins written by device vendors.
> It then uploads these XML files to the server via XHCP.
> The server processes the determinators based on incoming xPL messages,
timed
events, changes in globals etc.

I take it the XML file has a schema - is this documented somewhere (even
in an email somewhere) ? Shout "RTFM" if it's in the core
document set
on XPLProject.org.uk

> Not at all - all the hard work is done server side.
> All you need (again as Ian points out) is a text editor.
> Now, if you want to make that text editor do fancy things, like syntax
checking, then that would be very cool, but it's certainly not a
requirement.

Very cool indeed. A basic window might have to do for V0.1 ! ;-)

> You can use the XHCP "CAPABILITIES" command to determine
whether the server
you're connected to supports scripting, and if so, which language does it
use.

> HTH,
>
> John

Cheers - and thanks for the help so far...there'll be more queries to
come no doubt.

Rob