Latest message you have seen: Re: Suggestion for xPLOWTemp

Re: How Should MVP OSD Work

  • Subject: Re: How Should MVP OSD Work
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:51:36 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "tonytofts" <tony@x> wrote:

> > For each on-screen button control, it would be useful if we could
> > define which one the focus moves to when up/down/left/right is
> > pressed on the remote - any attempt to do this automatically is
> > unlikely to always work as expected.
>
> I was thinking the order would be the order they are defined in the
> file?

Using the order of definition only gives you a one-dimensional menu
(ie up/down *or* left/right moves to the next item).  I can imagine
many layouts that would be better if you could move to any of four
other buttons from the current one (imagine a virtual keyboard, for
example).

Assuming the layout of each page is defined in an xml file, it should
be fairly simple to allow such links to be defined (up=buttonName,
down= etc).  Undefined links would result in no change of focus if
that direction was pressed.

> Am currently adding a basic webcam module to xplrionet, what will
> happen is that when a captured webcam image is on display xplrionet
> will grab the latest image at a defined interval and update the
> current picture... at least that's the theory...

Sounds interesting. I wonder if this may be better broken out into a
separate app, though.  It would grab the image, and then send an xpl
message to tell everyone that a new image was available, and where to
get it.  xplRioNet would pick it up if an image item was configured
to use it instead of a predefined bitmap, and other xpl apps could do
the same.

Mal