Latest message you have seen: RE: xplmedianet development

Re: W800 Service Updated

  • Subject: Re: W800 Service Updated
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:31:55 -0000

Well that's a relief!  I didn't actually buy a DS10 - just a=20=20
security keyfob remote (the cheapest X10 security transmitter).  Can=20
you really get DS10s for $7?  In the UK they are =A324 - which is=20
around $45US or $60AUS!!!

According to the instructions, I should be able to get it to choose a=20
new address by holding down the "arm" button for 3 seconds, but
the=20
address never changes.  Perhaps I just need to take the battery out=20
instead.  You are right that it just chooses a random address,=20
although I have to say I'm not that impressed by a supposed security=20
device that has only 256 possible addresses!  As an HA remote control=20
though, it should be fine.

You make a good point about the determinators.  I don't know whether=20
you can refer to a global for the device code, but it would obviously=20
be very useful if you could.

Mal

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Bob & Linda Gardner"=20
<gardner.bob@g...> wrote:
> Well, I installed the new version, updated my plug-ins and it=20
worked=20
> great.  I've got three of these DS10A units now but I see that I'm=20
> going to need some more.  At about $7.00 apiece I can use them all=20
> over.  I have written several determinators and the they work=20
great.=20=20
> The only thing I had to do was increase the timeout from 200 ms to=20
> 300 ms since a few times I got multiple triggers.  The only problem=20
> with the DS10As is that there doesn't seem to be any way to assign=20
an=20
> address.  When you replace the batteries and press the button to=20
> configure them, they seem to choose a random address.  If the=20
> batteries last a year or two, like I read somewhere, then it is=20
> probably not a big deal.
>=20
> I don't suppose there's any way to set a variable equal to the=20
device=20
> address in a global type of area and then use the variable in the=20
> determinator.  That way, when a device has a new address, you could=20
> just go in one place and change the address and everything would=20
> work.  Just a thought?
>=20
> Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled.  This group has been great and=20
Mal=20