Re: Asterisk...

  • Subject: Re: Asterisk...
  • From: andrew <andrew_nh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:24:52 -0800 (PST)

Installing Asterisk can be frustrating. I spent about
a month getting my fist Asterisk Box working the way I
wanted. This is why I created Asterisk@Home to make it
easy for people to get Asterisk working.

Linux in general does have more stringent hardware
requirements then other OSes. It’s not the it’s not
possible to get Linux working on just about any
hardware platform. It’s getting it to work on the
first try with have to compile drivers etc.

So to start with here is the official RedHat Hardware
compatibility list for RedHat Enterprise Linux (the OS
used by Asterisk@Home)
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=hcl&view=certified
Your best bet for getting it to work is to use brand
name hardware. Companies are always throwing out
hardware and you can get a Dell GX1 350MHz (any Linux
will run on it) for about $25 USD.

You said "with Intel it installs okay, but freezes
stone dead during boot" Where does it freeze? If it’s
during the runonce process it may look frozen but it
is building Asterisk from source.

If you would like to install it from scratch tell me
what version of Linux you are using and I’ll tell you
all the decencies you need.

-Andrew