Re: xPLHal hung on startup - found a solution

  • Subject: Re: xPLHal hung on startup - found a solution
  • From: "Bob Gardner" <gardner.bob@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:02:21 -0000

This probably isn't a recommended solution - but it works.  I found a
command line utility that lets you start and stop a service from the
command line.   I just wrote a simple 'batch' file that uses this
utility to start the xPLHal service and put a shortcut to it in the
startup folder.  This works fine and the service starts after the
normal boot process.  The utility is at:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psservice.shtml

I also delayed the startup of xPLHvision by using a Macro Express
macro.

Now my server boots unattended, everything starts correctly and, the
best part, xPLHal works after I'm all done.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.  This is a great group.

Regards,

Bob

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Tom Van den Panhuyzen <tomvdp@g...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fwiw, some services on my machine take more than 60 secs to start
> without logging an error.
>
> Launching a service goes through 2 steps: the application is started
> and then the service control manager calls the "OnStart"
method.
> Probably what happens here is an untrapped error reaching the
service
> control manager in the OnStart method.  The fact that the
application
> still runs ok means that most of the initialization was done
> correctly. It probably indicates that the error occurs
somewhere "near