Re: Re: xPLHal hung on startup

Hi Mal,

> > I'm still not sure what could be causing that.
> > xPLHal seems to be working OK, and is starting up in under 10
> seconds, so I'm not entirely sure why you're seeing this error.
> > I'll investigate further and hopefully get back to you when I
have
> some news.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > John
>
> You know, I've seen something like this too.  Not the slowdown, but
> the failure to start message.  On a few occasions xPLHal has reported
> a failure to start, but seems to be running anyway.
>
> I know that's not much help in tracking the problem, but it's
> obviously not an isolated occurance.

Any idea what causes the "hung on starting" message? I'm guessing
Windows gives each service so many seconds to start, and if it hasn't got a
response, it assumes the service has hung.

I wonder if, when the service is starting at system boot, there is a
deadlock with another service that may also be starting up, which is
causing the xPLHal service to hang?
There can't be anything wrong with the xPLHal installation itself, as the
service starts fine when started manually after system startup.

It may be worth asking Tony to put some debug information in the xPLHal
startup routine so we can see where it's taking it's time.

Regards,

John