Re: xPLHal hung on startup

  • Subject: Re: xPLHal hung on startup
  • From: "Bob Gardner" <gardner.bob@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:24:51 -0000

Hi Frank,

Thanks for sticking with me - I'm really close.

I figured out the plugin thing and updated all of the plugins so that
the monitor would work.

I do have my W800 and I can see the commands in the monitor window.
Following your directions to George, I tried to add a few
determinators.  I started with easy ones that receive X10 signals
from the W800 and send X10 commands to HV.  In the monitor,
everything appears to work.  When I press a button on an RF remote, I
see a CMND type message to Homevision and a TRIG message from the
W800 and then about 5 seconds later I see a TRIG message from
Homevision.  The first two messages are X10.BASIC and the third one
is an X10.CONFIRM.  Unfortunately Homevision never responds to the
command and doesn't send an X10 signal.  One thing I see is that
somehow I have managed to get two copies of the HV plugin in the xPL
devices.  Don't know if this is contributing or not.  I have tried to
delete one but haven't figured out how to do that - any suggestions?

I need to have this PC reboot and start everything unattended for
when we are not here - power glitches, etc., so I tried to put the
xPLHvision fle in the startup folder.  This works but it seems to
start up before Homevision which is in the same folder so I get a
dialog box that says Homevision isn't running and I need to start
it.  I think I can fix this by starting xp\PLHvision from a macro
that does some other configuration things at startup.  I'll try that.

The next thing I need to figure out is this message that the xPLHal
service hung at startup.

I also got some DS10A remote sensors and they work great.  I look
forward to Mal adding this capability at some point they will be very
helpful for remote wireless sensing.

Thanks again,

Bob

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>
wrote:
> Hi Bob
>             I will try and answer some questions ,hopefully John
will answer
> the hard ones ;-)
>
> xPLHAL issue John will have to advise
>
> >Now that this is done, do I need to do anything with the
> > xPLHvision.exe file like put it into the startup folder or is it
now
> > installed in xPLHal
>
> In my setup i start it manually everytime after the pc boots up.....
>
> >However, when I
> > select the monitor in xPLHal, I get a message that the
xpl-schema-
> > collection.xml file is missing and I must upgrade it in the
plugins
> > folder.  What is this all about?
>
> You have installed the xplhvision app and w800 app...these plugin
files have
> information regarding the apps ...Having this info makes it nice
and easy to
> create Determinators...
> In the mani screen of xPLHAL  click on help , then plugin
library..this will

<home-automation@j...>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Bob,

> > installation
I get a
the
Event
during
> > startup.
> > running.
all of
is
good
> > again.
> > >
> > > Try setting the service startup type to "Manual" -
this will
> > prevent it from starting automatically when Windows starts, which
> > should help to debug the problem.
> > > Then, reboot your computer, and once it's rebooted, try
starting
> > the xPLHal service manually (right-click on xPLHal in the list of
> > services and click Start).
> > > See how long the service takes to start - it shouldn't be
more
than
> > a few seconds.
> > > (maybe 8-10 seconds max.)
> > >
> > > Once started (assuming it does start with no errors), open
up
the
> > xPLHal Manager (there should be a link under your Start
Menu/Programs
> > for xPLHal Manager).
> > >
> > > When xPLHal Manager starts up, click on xPL Devices and see
if
> > anything is listed.
> > >
> > > Then expand the xPL Devices node in the tree and click on
Awaiting
> > Configuration - again, see if anything is listed.
> > > If you see something like XPL-XPLHAL.<your computer
name>1
listed
> > under the awaiting configuration node, double-click on it.
> > > This will bring up it's configuration screen.
> > > Select "newconf" from the list of configurable
items (probably