Re: xPLHal hung on startup

  • Subject: Re: xPLHal hung on startup
  • From: "Bob Gardner" <gardner.bob@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:17:59 -0000

Hi John,

Well I set the service to Manual, rebooted, and then started the
service.  It started fine - took about 5 seconds and no errors.  I
followed your recommendations, opened xPLHal Manager and configured
xPLHal and xPLHal showed up under xPL Devices just as you said.

Then I put the service back in automatic and rebooted and had the
same problem.  I get a dialog box that says some service has failed
to start and to review the event viewer.  When I look at the viewer,
it says that xPLHal service has hung on startup.  Although when I go
into services it shows that the service is running fine.  I need to
get Windows to stop thinking the service has hung - any ideas?

Since I got that far, I also ran the xPLHvision.exe plugin and
installed the W800RF plugin.  The I went into xPLHal manager and
configured them both so that they now show up as xPL devices.
Question - Now that this is done, do I need to do anything with the
xPLHvision.exe file like put it into the startup folder or is it now
installed in xPLHal and I don't need to do anything else with it?

So now I figure I should at least be able to go into the monitor and
see messages being sent from the W800RF receiver.  However, when I
select the monitor in xPLHal, I get a message that the xpl-schema-
collection.xml file is missing and I must upgrade it in the plugins
folder.  What is this all about?  Once this is fixed, am I correct
that I should be able to at least monitor the W800RF messages?

Progress seems slow but there is a lot to learn.  Thanks for all the
help so far.

Bob

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "John B" <home-automation@j...>
wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> > So far I have installed the .NET framework, the DevCom
installation
> > package and xPLHal.  The problem is that, when I boot, I get a
> > message that a service has not started.  When I look at the Event
> > Viewer, the message is that the xPLHal service hung during
startup.
> > When I look at services it says that the xPLHal service is
running.
> > I also notice that the computer mouse is very sluggish all of a
> > sudden.  If I disable the service and reboot everything is good
again.

> Try setting the service startup type to "Manual" - this will
prevent it from starting automatically when Windows starts, which
should help to debug the problem.
> Then, reboot your computer, and once it's rebooted, try starting
the xPLHal service manually (right-click on xPLHal in the list of
services and click Start).
> See how long the service takes to start - it shouldn't be more than
a few seconds.
> (maybe 8-10 seconds max.)
>
> Once started (assuming it does start with no errors), open up the
xPLHal Manager (there should be a link under your Start Menu/Programs
for xPLHal Manager).

> When xPLHal Manager starts up, click on xPL Devices and see if
anything is listed.

> Then expand the xPL Devices node in the tree and click on Awaiting
Configuration - again, see if anything is listed.
> If you see something like XPL-XPLHAL.<your computer name>1
listed
under the awaiting configuration node, double-click on it.
> This will bring up it's configuration screen.
> Select "newconf" from the list of configurable items
(probably
already selected by default) and enter a name for your xPLHal server -
you may just want to use your computer name.
> Click OK to close the config dialog.
>
> Now, when you look under the xPL Devices node, you should see
xPLHal listed, along with the new name that you've given it.

> Let us know how you get on with the above - hopefully we can
pinpoint what the problem could be depend on how much of the above
works for you.