Re: xPLHal hung on startup

----------------------- Yahoo! Groups Survey ----------------------~-->
Please help us to improve Yahoo! Groups. Take the survey now!
http://v2.decipherinc.com/survey/yahoo/yah04021?list=2

Hi Bob,

> So far I have installed the .NET framework, the DevCom installation
> package and xPLHal.  The problem is that, when I boot, I get a
> message that a service has not started.  When I look at the Event
> Viewer, the message is that the xPLHal service hung during startup.
> When I look at services it says that the xPLHal service is running.
> I also notice that the computer mouse is very sluggish all of a
> sudden.  If I disable the service and reboot everything is good again.

Try setting the service startup type to "Manual" - this will
prevent it from starting automatically when Windows starts, which should
help to debug the problem.
Then, reboot your computer, and once it's rebooted, try starting the xPLHal
service manually (right-click on xPLHal in the list of services and click
Start).
See how long the service takes to start - it shouldn't be more than a few
seconds.
(maybe 8-10 seconds max.)

Once started (assuming it does start with no errors), open up the xPLHal
Manager (there should be a link under your Start Menu/Programs for xPLHal
Manager).

When xPLHal Manager starts up, click on xPL Devices and see if anything is
listed.

Then expand the xPL Devices node in the tree and click on Awaiting
Configuration - again, see if anything is listed.
If you see something like XPL-XPLHAL.<your computer name>1 listed
under the awaiting configuration node, double-click on it.
This will bring up it's configuration screen.
Select "newconf" from the list of configurable items (probably
already selected by default) and enter a name for your xPLHal server - you
may just want to use your computer name.
Click OK to close the config dialog.

Now, when you look under the xPL Devices node, you should see xPLHal
listed, along with the new name that you've given it.

Let us know how you get on with the above - hopefully we can pinpoint what
the problem could be depend on how much of the above works for you.

Regards,

John