Re: Re: Announcing xPL4Java V1.0

Howdy Dave,

I do need to pick a license -- just haven't done it yet (what is in there
now is a copyright which just minimally announces ownership, but is not
clear on licensing terms).  I chalk it up to just pushing this thing out
quickly and not wanting to burn brain cells on licensing.  However, clarity
and a license is needed.

For similar reasons you mentioned, I was leaning toward a BSD license.
However, I will review the ASL license as well.  Either way, I think we are
thinking along similar lines.

Source code wasn't available yet, mostly because I was still doing some
restructuring under the hood (under the interface layer).  I've had enough
time with it now that I think it's reasonably stable.  So this weekend,
I'll probably put up a new release with a license and source code access
(I'm thinking the source code will be a seperate download).  At that point,
I'll welcome suggestions and patches from folks.

Gerry

David Amphlett wrote:

> Would like to add my congratulations and support for what appears to
> be a very well designed class hierarchy.
>
> I've been toying with doing something similar for a month or so, and
> although a little disappointed to have missed the opportunity to do
> that big chunk of coding, I am somewhat relieved that I
> procrastinated as from what I've seen so far you've done a marvelous
> job.
>
> But - I'm a little unclear as to what license terms you are intending
> to use. I can't see any license details in the accompanying txt file
> or in the html documentation. Did I miss it? Also I couldn't see any
> source code?
>
> Can I take this opportunity to expound the virtues of the Apache
> Source License (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)
- I'm
> not big into all of these different licenses, but my understanding of
> the GNU license is that it's very difficult to use GPL'd software, in
> any way, in a commercial development, where as the ASL's primary
> reason for existing is to allows for commercial use whilst keeping
> the source open. This is a most important issues when it comes to
> class libraries.
>
> Either way, I'm interested in how you intend to handle issues like
> access to the source code, and contributions from others as this
> could affect my ability to use the library in a commercial xpl
> project I'm looking into.
>
> Eitherway congratulations on a well designed class library.
>
> cheers
>
> Dave Amphlett
>

> --- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Gerry Duprey <gerry@c...> wrote:
>
>>Howdy All,
>>
>>The first release of my xPL4Java framework is now available for
>
> download at
>
>>http://www.dvarchive.org/xPL/xPL4Java.zip
>>
>>This is a complete, cross platform implementation of xPL for Java.
>>It supports:
>>
>>* raw xPL protocol
>>* automated heartbeat management
>>* groups
>>* filters
>>* configuration
>>* automatic resource management/shutdown/cleanup
>>
>>You can code small apps that just receive xPL messages and sends
>
> them out or
>
>>you can write apps where the framework takes care of all the grunt
>
> work like
>
>>heartbeats, filters, group targeting and the configuration
protocol.

>>This is built to implement the entire xPL protocol (including
>
> multiple
>
>>configuration values and such) in an efficient, compact, layered
>
> set of
>
>>classes that let you use as little or as much of the framework as
>
> you need.
>
>>Underlying transmission media is partitioned allowing you to create
>
> adapters
>
>>for any type of transmission medium without having to change
>
> anything in the
>
>>code above it.  This version comes with an EthernetHandler to
>
> handle network
>
>>transmissions and I'm planning a SerialHandler for communicating
>
> over RS232
>
>>in a future release.  You could easily create media handlers for
>
> RS485, I2C,
>
>>etc.  They are very straightforward and make no assumptions about
>
> how the
>
>>actual media works.
>>
>>You can get a useful xPL app up and running in about 6 lines of
>
> code:
>
>>xPL_Manager xplManager = xPL_Manager.getManager();
>>ServiceManager serviceManager = theManager.getServiceManager();
>>
>>theManager.doNetworkSmartStart();
>>xPL_ServiceI myService = serviceManager.createConfigurableService
>
> ("cdp1802", "clock", new
File("clock.cfg"));