Re: xml plugin files

>             Chaps can we please make sure these files are available
and
> updated so that new users can easily create Determinators using the
> Wizard....

I guess this may be down to the lack of understanding about what an xPLHal
plug-in is, and how to write one.

I'll give a short overview here for any developers who aren't familiar with
the concept of xPLHal plug-ins.
Hopefully I'll do a full write-up at some point.

What is an xPLHal Plug-in?

A plug-in is an XML file that describes the xPL devices released by a
particular vendor.
It is worth noting that plug-ins are unrelated to the xPL protocol itself -
they are just a feature of the xPLHal product to enhance usability.
Plug-in files are stored within the xPLHal Manager installation folder, in
a directory called "plugins".
They are loaded at startup by the manager, and are used in a variety of
places within the user interface to enhance the end-user experience.

A mechanism for updating plug-ins via the web is provided via the Help
-> Update Plug-in Library menu option.
Developers who wish to make their plug-in available via the web update
mechanism should post their requests to this group. They should include
their vendor name, and the URL to where their plug-in is hosted. Note that
plug-in files must end with the file extension .xml, and must be hosted on
an HTTP web server. We may be able to host plug-in files on behalf of
developers if they do not have their own hosting facilities.

How do I write a plug-in?
--------------------------------------

The best way to begin writing a plug-in is to take a look at the plug-ins
that are already available.
This should give you a good understanding of the structure of a plug-in
file.

A reference plug-in is available at:
http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/vendor-plugin.txt

This file demonstrates every possible feature of a plug-in, complete with
full documentation.

Should you have any questions about writing a plug-in, or suggestions on
how we can improve the plug-in interface, please feel free to post them to
this group.

Regards,

John