RE: Communicatiing with xplHal

  • Subject: RE: Communicatiing with xplHal
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:31:14 +0100

Hi Mal,

Just to make things clear,

You don't connect to xplhal, you connect to a hub using a port 50000+

(basically you try to open a connection to listen for udp packets probably
on localhost on 50000, if it's in use (fails) then try port 50001 etc etc

The hub listens on port 3865 (broadcast) and relays the messages to all
attached app's (that are listening on 50000+ preferably). If you use the
vb6
hub for testing, you'll see if your app is attaching ok as it will be
listed, I think the vb.net version, windows service, logs to the system or
app log)

The application sends a broadcast to port 3865 (i.e. outgoing doesn't go
thru hub)

If you don't use a hub then no other xpl app's can run on that pc

> 1) Does xplHal return the config.current and config.list
> using the same connection that I use to send the config.app,
> or should I listen for a connection on the port supplied in
> the config.app?

xplhal sends the messages on port 3865 -> hub -> 50000+ -> app

> 2) Do you connect to xplHal everytime you need to send
> something, or do you connect once and keep the connection open?

The port 50000+ stays open all the time listening to the hub, the app sends
a broadcast _to_ port 3865 from any port (you don't normally specify the
port, just use "any")

> 3) When this configuration stuff is working, I'll need a
> vendor Id before I can release the app - where do I get that from?

Just post to the list your required vendor id and as long as it's valid and
not already take it will be yours :-)

Regards
Tony