ARe all mp3 streams viable on RioNet?

  • Subject: ARe all mp3 streams viable on RioNet?
  • From: Mike <n5pwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:21:51 -0500

I haven't run into this issue before but I guess it is a potential
pitfall. Just because a stream is mp3 doesn't mean it is Shoutcast-able.
I have a stream that I was trying to get working as an ogg stream. It
doesn't but they also have an mp3 stream. IT seems to stream. I see the
RioNet control page display the name of the show and it says it is
streaming. I have an icon in my system tray that shows that I am indeed
receiving data from the site. but no audio comes out of my receiver. The
Rio's display shows the name of the stream but the timer is not
counting. I went to the site's webpage and it says it is an icecast
stream. Does RioNet have trouble with icecast streams in general or just
certain one's. And is there something we should look out for when
deciding what streams to use? Short of actually loading it into the
streams.xml file and trying it?

Here is the stream (mp3). I'm throwing in the ogg stream too just incase
we SHOULD be able to stream ogg.

<stream title="OnComputers ogg"
url="http://icecast.oncomputers.info:8000/oncomputers.ogg";
/>
<stream title="OnComputers mp3"
url="http://icecast.oncomputers.info:8000/oncomputers";
/>

I can stream this site using WinAmp. That's kinda my measuring stick. If
I can stream it through WinAmp then I try to get it to work on RioNet.

I'm amazed that they are able to stream an mp3 AND an ogg stream from
the same port. I wrote to the site and this was the explanation that I
got back.

~  "They stream at different mount points on the server /nocomputers
and
/oncomputers.ogg"

Thanks Tony.

Mike