RE: xPLHal update posted

  • Subject: RE: xPLHal update posted
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:54:00 +0000

> Writing and maintaining multiple versions is very admirable, but
> ultimately it is sheer lunacy! The amount of rework will be
> considerable, and as more developers start working on this you will
end
> up with certain 'overall solutions' that work in one environment and
not
> another.

I never said we were writing and maintaining multiple versions :-)

We have a suite of VB6 apps that were basically our only apps before .NET
and
services came along.
Those apps have been made available for those who, for whatever reason,
aren't
able to use the new .NET apps.

As you say, no-one would try and maintain two versions of the same app
unless
they had a lot of spare time!!!!!

> I would strongly suggest that applications are either written
> to work in any environment (so perhaps don't use services or .net) or
> the minimum requirements for xPL applications are drawn up very soon.

xPL is just a protocol - we can't impose (nor should we IMO) restrictions
on
which operating systems or technologies people develop for.

As for the apps released by Tony and myself, we already state the minimum
requirements as being Windows 2000 with the .NET Framework v1.1.

> can only speak from a user point of view, though I may well start
doing
> some stuff with scripting in the near future, and I would rather know
> what I need to set up to support all applications.

Well, if you've got Win2k or newer, you'll be able to run everything.

Going back to the original point, regardless of the .NET/services issue, I
would
never recommend anything earlier than WIn2k as a reliable HA server.

Regards,

John