RE: xPLHal update posted

  • Subject: RE: xPLHal update posted
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:06:00 +0000

> Graham
>
> it is just handy for me to play with xpl on my laptop which I am
> pretty sure won't take anything after win98se.
>
> I run multiple operating systems across a bank of machines due to my
> work so running xpl apps as services isn't a problem for me. However
> there are a lot of people out there running 98 who won't upgrade for
> one reason or another. This does mean that any HA application without
> support for 98 is writing off those people as potential users.

This is why we are attempting to please everybody:
We have our .NET services, using the latest technology, for those using
NT-based
operating systems.
We also have a suite of apps written in VB6 which work just fine on Windows
98,
or for those not wishing to use services.

For developers we offer both a .NET assembly, and a COM component for those
wishing to use older programming environments.

Don't forget as well that many people use lower spec machines for their HA
servers, which may not be up to the task of running loads of .NET services,
but
would be perfectly happy running a bunch of older VB6 apps.

Having said that, you'll probably find most of my new apps will be written
as
.NET services, unless there is a good technical reason not to do so.

> As an aside I was configuring a couple of new Dells for a client the
> other day with XP, in the same office I was upgrading the memory in a
> couple of older machines running 98.
>
> Despite the higher spec the XP machines ran like dogs compared to the
> much older and lower spec win98 machines.

I have to say that I hate XP!

It always seems so slow and unresponsive in comparison to Windows 2000, and
this
is with all the new stuff turned off and just using the classic
desktop/start
menu.
It also seems very slow when accessing network resources - much rather
stick
with WIn2k.

Regards,

John