Re: Sort of Commercial use of XPL

  • Subject: Re: Sort of Commercial use of XPL
  • From: John B
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 06:51:00 +0000

> what is the stance on commercial use of xpl? I don't mean selling xpl
> as a commercial product but if for example I wanted to use xpl as the
> glue in a HA system I was being paid to supply and install what would
> the view be?

Hi Mick,

As far as I see it, there is nothing to stop you using the xPL protocol for
whatever purpose you like, and if you see fit to charge for the end
product,
then that's up to you.
Anybody can write anything based on the xPL specification - it's a fully
open
standard, and personally I'd encourage anyone to use it if they feel it
will
enhance their product, whether it's commercial or non-commercial.

To refer to Ian's point: If you wanted to use specific xPL packages by
authors
such as Tony, Ian, myself and others, then you'd need to contact the
authors
concerned on an individual basis to discuss use of their software in a
commercial environment.

Personally, I agree with Ian's points - feel free to use any of my xPL
packages,
taking into account Ian's stipulations, in whatever application you feel
they
will be useful for.

Hope that clarifies things - I'm sure Ian will jump in if something I've
said is
incorrect :-)

Regards,

John