Re: Sort of Commercial use of XPL

  • Subject: Re: Sort of Commercial use of XPL
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:39:00 +0000

Michael,

We have always taken the view that xPL is a community development, by and
for the UKHA community, and will not be charged for, meaning that the code
will be available free of charge, there will be no limitations on use, and
no-one will be charged money for SDKs, tools, or finished applications.
However, I feel this is probably best served through a GPL model.

Therefore, I *personally* have no issue with you installing xPL software as
a value add within an HA system, and charging for it, on the conditions
that:

1) You are not selling the xPL code itself, but rather the convenience of
the required applications in one place (like a linux distro) and your
expertise and time in configuring the environment.

2) No liability for the performance of the system rests with the original
authors, in *any* form.

3) The end user is made aware that the software used is a community
development.

I can't speak for the other authors, but I believe this is a good thing.

John, Tony, care to comment on this one?

Ian.