IP Port allocations was Re: Osd Row Question

  • Subject: IP Port allocations was Re: Osd Row Question
  • From: Patrick Lidstone
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 15:43:00 +0000

> >Is a two way bridge possible ?
>

> Possible, but there are problems.
>
> In order for xap and xpl to co-exist on a single PC (as opposed to a
> network) would require a combined hub/bridge.. the lack of certain
xap
> information (such as a UID) within an xpl message could not be re-
generated,
> whilst the presence of a second message body or subnode address
within a xap
> message would be lost going through the bridge.

I see it as desirable that xAP and XPL should *at least* be able to
co-exist on the same PC without interfering with each other -
something that is not possible today.

Given that xAP has been allocated port 3639 by IANA, I suggest that
the XPL group considers making a formal application for their own
port instead of misappropriating the port allocated to xAP, so that
both protocols can run concurrently in the same environment.

Patrick