Re: IP Port allocations was Re: Osd Row Question

  • Subject: Re: IP Port allocations was Re: Osd Row Question
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 16:16:00 +0000

Patrick,

This issue was discussed with Mark Harrison initially, shortly after the
xPL
split. After discussion, his agreement was given for xpl to use port 3639,
at least initially. "misappropriating" is a rather inflammatory
term, and
doesn't accurately reflect what has taken place.

In more recent conversations with Kevin Hawkins, I suggested xPL apply for
separate port, for precisely this reason. He was of the opinion that this
was not needed.

As Mark Harrison is the IANA designated contact for the allocation, and
previously gave us the all clear, I think it's appropriate for him to make
the call now. In the meantime, I suggest that you discuss the matter fully
with your colleagues.

As soon as Mark notifies me that this is the official xap position, I'll
make the required application.

In the meantime, I'll ask again whether you intend to contribute to this
group in a meaningful way, or simply act as an agent provocateur. If you
wish to learn about where xpl development is going, or contribute to the
effort, please do so. If instead, you are simply here from a desire to
promote xap, then I would suggest that this is not helpful.

Ian.