UKHA2003 Developments...

  • Subject: UKHA2003 Developments...
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:44:00 +0000

Just to reinforce the situation after UKHA2003, the feedback we received
from many attendees suggests that we have made a *very* convincing series
of arguments about the nature of HA protocols. We had some very
knowledgeable contributions regarding the scalability of logic decisions
made at the periphery of the network "cloud" rather than at the
centre: we
had concerns expressed about the reliability of a pure broadcast protocol
(something xPL resolves with the use of command/trigger pairs) and so on.

We were very careful that the UKA2003 event didn't turn into a pissing
contest between the camps, and I'm happy that we conducted ourselves with
the appropriate dignity.

Far from the madding crowd, meanwhile, the private discussions I had with
several people over the course of the weekend, (people whose opinions I
respect greatly, and who made their points very clearly) have reinforced
that, fundamentally, we are taking the right approach.

We didn't split off and write xPL because we thought xAP was perfect for
our
needs, and fancied some twisted challenge. We developed xPL because we feel
that xAP is fundamentally broken, and that xPL is a much closer fit to the
original vision that grew from the needs of the ukha community.

The challenge now is to not become the "betamax" of the HA world.
We
believe, without a shred of doubt, that xPL is technically superior to xAP
in every way. It would be a travesty if the VHS solution in the HA world
went on to become dominant simply by producing volume.

Therefore, we are now calling for *EVERYONE* who has a Home Automation
Itch:
help us scratch it for you, and help make xPL the solution of choice within
the HA Space.

Do you have an AV Component that you want supported? help us develop it. We
will invest the time to make it happen, and everyone will win!

Do you have the coolest toy "if only it did..."? get in touch: as
soon as
you start thinking in an xPL way about your kit, the possibilities just
explode!

We have Software frameworks available that can build a basic xPL compliant
application in just a few minutes, if you want to see what it can do, just
ask!

Ian.