RE: RioPlay xPL Query

  • Subject: RE: RioPlay xPL Query
  • From: Tony T
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:13:00 +0000

> Picking up on your other point - could you further clarify
> the differences between the memory usage for xPL and panel/remote.

When you select something on the menu on the rio it has to query and store
all the entries returned.
So, in particular when you list by title (track), it has to store every
entry.
At some point it hits a limit and cannot cope (not sure of limit though).
The same could happen with a large playlist.
Album / Artist are probably safe (unless you have a very very large
collection).

Also, having got the list of tracks, rioplay then has to queue them, which
takes more memory.

With xpl you are telling it a particular album/artist/track.
Album won't exceed memory, as the number of tracks on an album are limited.
Artist won't exceed memory, as I can't think of an artist that has produced
that many tracks.
Track won't exceed memory as it is a single track.
Playlists might, if very large, though.

> Finally, I'm interested in having a play with the Rio
> software myself - is there a way to cross-compile from a Windows box?

Not that I know of. All the cross-compiler toolchains (it's a particular
type of ARM) I've found are linux only.
Mind you, I started from scratch and had to set up my first real linux box
to do it.
The only problem I had was getting samba to work properly so I could copy
files to/from my xp laptop.

> Sorry for all the questions!

No problem.

BTW I have xplhal re-instancing and playing all my JLO tracks automatically
when my office rio is switched on.
It's neat, but I'm getting bored with j.lo now. Time for a change.
The (simple) web interface now works with both jrec and original software,
and lets you choose the rio you want to control etc. Need to zip it all up
into a package with some instructions, but it does need either iis4 or iis5
as it uses dll's. I guess other windows web servers may also support this,
but don't have any to try.

Regards
Tony