RE: OSD SCHEMA - COLOUR

  • Subject: RE: OSD SCHEMA - COLOUR
  • From: Keith Doxey
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:14:00 +0000

As we are primarily talking about LowEnd devices for Low Colour and given
that parsing the data is an important consideration, how about a single
character for the basic colours

R Red Already in common usage for RGB
G Green Already in common usage for RGB
B Blue Already in common usage for RGB
C Cyan Already used in printing for CYMK
Y Yellow Already used in printing for CYMK
M Magenta Already used in printing for CYMK
K Black Already used in printing for CYMK
W White The only one not already covered and the obvious letter.

Using a single character would making parsing easier and messages would be
standard length. With regard to background there could be an additional
letter of

T = Transparent

for devices that support overlay on video eg, STV5730A, VideoBob or
HomeVision etc. Devices not supporting that use their default background.

As I said in my original post...

"Devices with a limited set of colours would be responsible for
mapping the
schema 0-7 RGB values to match their own internal palette."

The values of 0-7 were intended to be "Colour Constants"
indicating the
presence or absence of RGB ( the order which we usually think of them)
which
the receiver would assign the correct values to for its own palette.
Therefore a 2 colour device would only use FORELOCOL to determine if the
foreground should be Black (0) or White (>0) and because it only had two
colours it would automatically assign the opposite colour to the
background.

Its fine by me if colour is in an extended schema, I was just suggesting a
way in which colour could be assigned.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=pTXjlfSCAReemxB2Mk692Wco2YfIf7SmehJ-BciY7YzGdWLvxH-O9uwB-jORkBUas_RMljGCerk">tony@x...</a>]
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=p0q78rFkmiICbuPtiApJk4LeKW_OLpXjOHERc-RTiwEthp0OBanosE24uMkOfBdE8RIeL1tFeI61MnqUKkxfNZk">ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx</a>
> Subject: RE: [ukha_xpl] OSD SCHEMA - COLOUR
>

> > Where the three bits of 0-7 represent the presence or absence
> > of RGB (in that order).
> > 000 Black
> > 001 Blue
> > 010 Green
> > 011 Cyan
> > 100 Red
> > 101 Magenta
> > 110 Yellow
> > 111 White
>
> It might be worth considering the other approach.
>
> Given the osd message might be displayed by various devices,
> each with a
> different colour to decimal code mapping, of using
> (literally) BLACK, BLUE,
> GREEN. It would then be up to the device to map the correct
> colour code?
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Regards
> Tony

> Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's
> Important Questions.
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=4pahIR56X-3JliufhFPNuB5DyGDAah9TqM19JNgkkW9K2dd0kDwVpptW9X3gLY5a9xWA_Nq64F315C--5WfnbcQw85yzgcK_tQ">ukha_xpl-subscribe@xxxxxxx</a>
To Unsubscribe: <a
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=BuBU-Gx-mecdV14UK5pIkfx5HxftiraDkJdLXB8dpYGhHTgp2h1Sid50caMTvmut3KIWAUdnPRteAy10DbsKh1f36q04Hg7aPBi5EQ">ukha_xpl-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>