Re: UPS Schema

  • Subject: Re: UPS Schema
  • From: John B
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:56:00 +0000

Hi all,

Following feedback both on and off list, I have made the following
modifications
to the UPS schema:
* I have added a number of new events - not all UPS models will support
them,
but they are all optional.
* I have added an UNKNOWN option to the status element for events where the
current status of the UPS cannot be determined.

The full schema definition is below.

If no-one has any further comments on this, we can accept it as an official
schema.

Regards,

John

Schema Definition
-----------------

Class = UPS
Type = BASIC

This schema provides basic information relating to an Uninterruptable Power
Supply (UPS).

XPL-TRIG Structure
------------------
UPS.BASIC
{
STATUS=MAINS  BATTERY  UNKNOWN
EVENT=<event name>
}

XPL-CMND Structure
------------------
Not Applicable

XPL-STAT Structure
------------------
HBEAT.*
{
(hbeat items)
STATUS=MAINS  BATTERY  UNKNOWN
}

Schema Specific Notes
---------------------

The STATUS element should contain either MAINS, BATTERY or UNKNWON,
depending on
the current state of the UPS.
Because each ups.basic message must contain a STATUS element, the UNKNOWN
option
has been provided for instances where an event has occurred, but the UPS
software does not know at that moment whether the UPS is on mains or
battery
power.
For example, when issuing a COMMS_LOST event to indicate that the host has
lost
communications with the UPS,
the host will not know if the UPS is operating on mains or battery, and
will
therefore send a status=unknown element.

The EVENT element may contain one of the following values.
Items marked with a * must be supported by all ups.basic implementations.
Other items may or may not be transmitted, depending on the facilities of
the
UPS hardware in question.

ONMAINS - The UPS has begun operating on mains power*
ONBATTERY - The UPS has begun operating on battery power*
BATTLOW - The UPS battery is low
BATTFULL - The UPS battery is fully charged
BTI - Battery test initiated
BTP - Battery Test Passed
BTF - Battery Test Failed
COMMS_LOST - The host has lost communication with the UPS
COMMS_OK - Communication with the UPS has been restored
INPUT_FREQ_ERROR - The input frequency is out of range
INPUT_FREQ_OK - The input frequency has returned from an error condition.
INPUT_VOLTAGE_HIGH - The input voltage is too high
INPUT_VOLTAGE_LOW - The input voltage is too low
INPUT_VOLTAGE_OK - The input voltage is OK following a previously "too
low" or
"too high" state
OUTPUT_VOLTAGE_HIGH - The UPS output voltage is too high
OUTPUT_VOLTAGE_LOW - THe UPS output voltage is too low
OUTPUT_VOLTAGE_OK - The UPS output voltage has returned to normal following
"too high" or "too low" condition.
OUTPUT_OVERLOAD - The UPS output is in overload
OUTPUT_OK - The UPS output has returned from overload
TEMP_HIGH - The UPS temperature is too high
TEMP_OK - The UPS temperature has returned from an over-temperature
condition

Standard Notes
HBEAT.* = hbeat.basic or hbeat.app etc
(hbeat items) = standard .basic or .app heartbeat items
[] = optional
<> = parameter value description