RE: Rioplayxpl and wav files

  • Subject: RE: Rioplayxpl and wav files
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:06:00 +0000

> > I use the ms speech sdk (cheapskate!) for tts, but could someone
> > confirm that other tts engines also allow the tts to be written
> > directly to wav format, please?
>
> AFAIK any speech engine that is SAPI-compliant will work in
> exactly the same way as the Microsoft voices you're using now.

I was hoping that was the case :-)

The Rio side of the text-to-speech announcements is done.
It queries a web server for the appropriate wav file.
Any currently playing track is muted while the announcement is made.

Next up is the web server end, initially a vb6 app, which will look for the
appropriate wav file in a cache and if it isn't there will create it on the
fly for shipping back to the Rio...
The web server bit is ready, just the tts stuff to add.

Looks like I'll be upgrading my sapi speech engine (for better voices) now
can have zoned announcements, any recommendations?

Many thanks
Tony