Schema..

  • Subject: Schema..
  • From: UKHA
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:51:00 +0000

Hi,

I've had a look at the Schemae(s)? already done and was wondering about
relays
and i/o ports (like those found on Homevision). Is there a schema for
those? So
far I've got:

X10 - Schema available can implement
IR - Schema available can implement
CID - Schema available can implement (can't test :( )
DATETIME - Schema available can implement
DAWNDUSK - Schema available can implement
OSD - Schema available can implement

MACRO - Schema unavailable can't implement
IOPORTS - Schema unavailable can't implement

I'd like to see a TRANSLATE schema too, a generic one. A device may recieve
for
example a code from a device (eg. IR keycode 232) and want it translated
into
"English" for display ie "Power button". It would
however allow, in theory,
extentions to the .BASIC schema of a device and a degree of compatability
between older and newer versions of a device..

base schema (needs adding to)

xpl-stat
-----------

translate.basic
{
reply=<translated data>
}

xpl-cmnd
-------------
translate.basic
{
query=<data to be translated>
}

Both Graham and I have had a discussion and since xAP doesn't have many of
the
schemae(s)? needed for HomeAutomator and xPL has more we will be
implementing
xPL first and xAP at a later date.

I would like to say that due to my concerns over security, the initial
update
will be HomeAutomator reporting events and actions only, ie in the first
instance it will not react to requests. I'd like your views on this too.
Primary
questions people need to ask themselves is:

Do I want any Tom, Dick or Harry to be able to control things in my house
willy
nilly?

I can understand for devices connected to a serial port it's not so much an
issue, but any device that has a network interface could be potentially
dangerous, particularly if you have a wireless network too... any thoughts
on
this, particularly those that would help me (and Graham) get over our
security
fears would be helpful..

Andy

--- Tag-it! v2.0 (c) Andy Powell 1998