Re: Wanting to use xPL more....

  • Subject: Re: Wanting to use xPL more....
  • From: John B
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:58:00 +0000

Hi Neil,

> I have seen both the Digiguide and the News scripts/apps and was
> wondering...
>
> Can the information from these be easily displayed on a web page?

You can easily display the values of global variables on a web page, using
ASP.NET.
I have all the data such as temperature readings etc. stored in global
variables
in xPLHal, then just display them on a web page.

Check out <a href="http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/xplhalweb/";>http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/xplhalweb/</a>
for xPLHal Web Access.
It is basically a web front-end to xPLHal (although with less features than
the
full Windows management tools),
but there is some handy code which demonstrates how to get info from xPLHal
up
on a web page.

> Can I get the information into a database using xQL (similar to the
Meteor
> CallerID one I'm now using - thanks for the help) then use asp to pull
the
> info out?

Don't see why not.

> For digiguide, I envision a now and next scenario on my favourite
channels
> &amp;
> For the news, a similar output to the VB App with a drop down list of
> categories with clickable links.

I'd say using xQL to log the data to a database, then querying the database
from
within your app would probably be the best way to go.

> I know I can probably do this with out xPL BUT when I do, eventually,
get
> some display devices, of some form, I don't want to redo it all.

That's the beauty of xPL - you suddenly realise just how easy it is to add
new
devices into your setup, without needing to start re-coding anything.

Regards,

John