RE: Newcomer to xPL / Linux support

  • Subject: RE: Newcomer to xPL / Linux support
  • From: Gordon JC Pearce
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:58:00 +0000

href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=RFjVLmo1a_f6hCg24rd50ZyBa80AVC_FFVWPWiJLaaV2liiQ75y5Z54v2B_11s5z_YcEz0iGhFY">gordon@g...</a>>
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=5NFyYWMwzHOBwECXtGKUCBIlut6UqB6IRlEYPnw49E2Xfrc31mVXsHfKMK6IX5jgl5KQsrJcesG5P7rxOmEJ-5LJsg">ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx</a>
> Subject: RE: [ukha_xpl] Newcomer to xPL / Linux support

haven't got a Windows
something up. Any
Windows apps anyway?

> > > Most should run on Windows 98 or above, however there are
quite a few that
have been released as Windows services, so I'd recommend Windows 2000 or
above.

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > John
> >
> > I tried a borrowed copy of Windows 2000, but I'm not having any
luck
> > with it. It doesn't seem to support any of my hardware so I'm
stuck
> > with 640x480 and no sound. Any thoughts?
>
> What make/model of graphics and sound card do you have?

ATI Mach 64, and an SB AWE32. I've removed the sound card and I'll just
live with the graphics as is.

> There are developments in the works for other platforms, but at
present I
think it would be beneficial for you to have a Windows box for some of the
apps
that aren't available on other platforms yet.

Yes - I spoke to Ian at UKHA Scotland about porting to Linux. The VB
source is pretty self-explanatory, but I don't really have much
experience of Windows. I suppose that makes it a little complicated...

Gordon.