RE: Newcomer to xPL / Linux support

  • Subject: RE: Newcomer to xPL / Linux support
  • From: Gordon JC Pearce
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:08:00 +0000

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 17:09, Tony Tofts wrote:
> > I've got a couple of bits of source off www.xplhal.com, been
> > playing about with it. For some reason the xpldev and xplhub
> > bits won't actually bind the port (or do but for some reason
> > it doesn't show up in nmap and I can't connect. Wierd).
>
> Hi Gordon,
>
> I'm not sure why you may have a problem with them, but I'm new to
linux/c so
> maybe the code isn't porting well (built/tested on redhat9 only). The
code
> also works on cygwin, with a 'make cygwin'. And if you have a tivo,
there's
> a modified build for that too.

On line 253, I compiled it with INADDR_ANY rather than INADDR_BROADCAST
- basically using the xPLTivo line. Not sure why this works, although
equally I'm not sure why INADDR_BROADCAST would work. As far as I can
see that would try to bind 192.168.0.255 instead of 192.168.0.16 (or
whatever your network uses). I could be utterly wrong.

> John B has used them to build an app, but not sure what linux he's
using.

I'm using Slackware 9.

> I'll run them up at the weekend and try nmap, I'd like to cure any
problems
> as I have quite a few plans for them.
>
> Do you get any errors?
> They won't actually do anything until configured via xplhal and xplhal
> manager.
> Then xpldev just displays any incoming messages (that pass the
filters)

Yes, I need some sort of xplhal and xplmanager. I haven't got a Windows
machine to run them on, so I suppose I should build something up. Any
recommendations? What's the minimum spec for the Windows apps anyway?

Thanks,
Gordon.