Re: version 1.3 of xAP documents

  • Subject: Re: version 1.3 of xAP documents
  • From: "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:20:53 -0000

I have another question:

For new designs that don't need the additional features provided by xAP
v1.3, could we still use the old v1.2 format (with shorter UID's and v=12)
or should we switch to v1.3 anyway?

Thanks again,

Daniel.

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...>
wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
>     Yes the ID field remains in BSC bodies - it can now be longer of
> course to support the longer sub addresses in v1.3 and should be an
even
> number of uppercase hex digits, or a '*'.
>
>     Yes , all schema permit the multi-block  format, unless they
> specifically forbid it , which allows for coincident changes to be
made
> to several endpoints. Multi-block also guarantees that either all
> changes or none are actioned (in the extremely unlikley event that a
> message be lost).  If the blocks are of the same type then you should
> index the blocknames ie block.1 block.2 etc as block names must be
> unique within one xAP message.   A listener should therefore recognise
> either  'block' or 'block.1'  'block.2' etc.  This is especially
> prevalent in the BSC schema as you mention.
>
>     One other thing that has changed in xAP v1.3 is that it is now not
> permitted to include target= lines within each of the different
> multi-block bodies or indeed in any body.  A target= line is now only
> permitted in the xAP header.    In xAP v1.2 separately targeting
blocks
> was permitted although AFAIK no-one every implemented it, or handled
it
> correctly, because you had to logically AND the two target= addresses,
> which with wildcards was complex and messy.   So it's now deprecated.
>
>     Just to recap also that in xAP v1.3 heartbeats can have bodies,
> bodies can be empty,  and you should gracefully ignore any unexpected
> parameter/values found within headers or bodies - which allows for
> expansion of existing schema or headers.  Addresses used in target= or
> source= are case insensitive.
>
>     cheers Kevin
>
> Daniel Berenguer wrote:
> > Kevin,
> >
> > Do the xAP BSC commands still contain the "ID" field in
the body? Do these messages keep the multi-block body feature after the new
xAP spec?

<yahoogroupskh@> wrote:

> >> Steve, one more thing I forgot to mention....
> >>
> >> xAP v1.2 supported target= lines within the body(ies) of
messages -
> >> effectively allowing the various body sections within a
single message
> >> to be addressed to different devices.  This AFAIK has never
been used by
> >> any applications and is awkward to implement as there are
then two
> >> target filters in use. Nor do I know of any listener
application that

<yahoogroupskh@> wrote:

> [...]
specification that haven't
future v1.4  (not