Re: Re: version 1.3 of xAP documents

xAP v1.3 totally supports* xAP v1.2 so you can, should you wish still
write xAP v1.2 applications - but I would make them tolerant of xAP v1.3
applications that might be interacting with them.   It's not difficult
to switch from v1.2 to v1.3 though - you just change the v= parameter
and add a '.' and ':' into the UID.   The aspects of gracefully ignoring
extra parameters has always been promoted.

For example I found with my (v1.3) gateway that when I sent a
xAPBSC.query / xAPBSC.cmd message to a xAP v1.2 application it wasn't
responding which was dissapointing.  This was an xFX Framework based
v1.2 application being very fussy on message validation  I had to work
around this by keeping a record of which devices were xAP v1.2 and which
xAP v1.3 and originating the messages in the appropriate matching
format. This of course further necessitated me creating a dual heartbeat
device :-(

cheers Kevin

* xAP v1.3 does not support target= lines with bodies - but I am not
aware of any xAP app that used this (now deprecated) feature.

Daniel Berenguer wrote:
> I have another question:
>
> For new designs that don't need the additional features provided by
xAP v1.3, could we still use the old v1.2 format (with shorter UID's and
v=12) or should we switch to v1.3 anyway?

> Thanks again,
>
> Daniel.
>

> --- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...>
wrote:

>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>>     Yes the ID field remains in BSC bodies - it can now be longer
of
>> course to support the longer sub addresses in v1.3 and should be
an even
>> number of uppercase hex digits, or a '*'.
>>
>>     Yes , all schema permit the multi-block  format, unless they
>> specifically forbid it , which allows for coincident changes to be
made
>> to several endpoints. Multi-block also guarantees that either all
>> changes or none are actioned (in the extremely unlikley event that
>> message be lost).  If the blocks are of the same type then you
should
>> index the blocknames ie block.1 block.2 etc as block names must be
>> unique within one xAP message.   A listener should therefore
recognise
>> either  'block' or 'block.1'  'block.2' etc.  This is especially
>> prevalent in the BSC schema as you mention.
>>
>>     One other thing that has changed in xAP v1.3 is that it is now
not
>> permitted to include target= lines within each of the different
>> multi-block bodies or indeed in any body.  A target= line is now
only
>> permitted in the xAP header.    In xAP v1.2 separately targeting
blocks
>> was permitted although AFAIK no-one every implemented it, or
handled it
>> correctly, because you had to logically AND the two target=
addresses,
>> which with wildcards was complex and messy.   So it's now
deprecated.

>>     Just to recap also that in xAP v1.3 heartbeats can have
bodies,
>> bodies can be empty,  and you should gracefully ignore any
unexpected
>> parameter/values found within headers or bodies - which allows for
>> expansion of existing schema or headers.  Addresses used in
target= or
>> source= are case insensitive.
>>
>>     cheers Kevin
>>
>> Daniel Berenguer wrote:
>>
>>> Kevin,
>>>
>>> Do the xAP BSC commands still contain the "ID" field
in the body? Do these messages keep the multi-block body feature after the
new xAP spec?

<yahoogroupskh@> wrote:

> [...]
never been used by
application that

> [...]