Re: Mango M2M and xAP]

  • Subject: Re: Mango M2M and xAP]
  • From: "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:18:00 -0000

Hi Matthew,

I've not had the time to play with Mango but, being a M2M software, it
should be specially suited for industrial applications (please,
correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know how many of us are using xAP
for non-HA environments but I understand that industry and home often
require very different HMI's and control softwares.

For example, HA users typically want their HMI to support both
multimedia and HA stuff. As a HA user, I also appreciate the
possibility of configuring my own screens with nice buttons, icons and
backgrounds. I personally know Xlobby and Mainlobby (Xlobby even
provides a xAP plugin developed by the Xlobby French team). These
softwares allow users to control their appliances, browse media
collections, play music and even use the screen as TV. The downside is
that all these applications run under Windows. Other Linux solutions
as MythTV, GeexBox, etc run under Linux but are only HTPC's and don't
seem to support the HA side.

On the other hand, a M2M software for industrial applications wouldn't
need to support the multimedia stuff. Thus, lighter computers can be
used, mainly if the application can run on a Linux PC. Screens are
typically schematic and simple. Looking at the screenshots, I think
that Mango have all these features. Moreover, Mango is open source so
it's really open to future additions and improvements. I really wish
the best for Mango.

Back to the Home Automation application, I'd really like to see an
open source software like Xlobby for Linux (or multi-platform).
Windows XP needs too much power to run and  could never run on a 400
MHx touchscreen. Maybe a multimedia plugin for Mango ;) to allow the
control of remote media players from Mango, browse mp3 files, etc? Now
seriously, I know that multimedia support is beyond the interest of
any M2M software.

Good luck Matthew!!

Daniel.