Message Etiquette

  • Subject: Message Etiquette
  • From: "darrenp_lock" <darrenlock@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:26:25 -0000

I am in the process of developing a bridge between Asterisk
VoiceMail  and xAP (BTW Greg - this doesn't replace AXC - in fact it
relies on AXC to trigger messages)and it has got me wondering about
the the pro's and con's of my message schemas.

Firstly, addressing:
Where <mailbox> is the mailbox name/number, <context> allows
for more
than one Asterisk VoiceMail Context (I am also making the assumption
that there will not be more than one Asterisk VMail Server on the
network with the same context). <folder> is used to address commands
at a particular folder within the mailbox and <message> is used to
perform message related commands on messages within a mailbox folder.

Now my question is how to best construct the messages. For example, I
have a command to list all folders and their attributes (e.g. message
count)in the mailbox. Should I have a multi block message or multiple
messages per folder. The same goes for listing the messages in a
folder. I conscious of low spec devices listening on the network.
What works best, lots of small messages or one big message?

Rgds, Darren.