Re: Re: Message Etiquette

Quoting darrenp_lock (4/12/07 3:18 AM):

> I hadn't appreciated that a listening
> port would be created for each logical device. Therefore, I will
> propose the following format for the Logical Address:
>
> DGarage.vxvml.<servername>:.....
>
> Now my question here on convention is should the servername be the
> Asterisk Server being managed or the servername where the Gateway is
> located (the gateway runs on Windows)? The former would allow for
> multiple Asterisk Servers and probably is more intuitive.

So, if you have multiple asterisk servers that each map to individual
values for <servername>, then you'll be creating more than one
logical
device--right?  It's not as though this hasn't been done before--I've
personally had to resort to a multi-device approach due to the original
limitation on UID subaddressing for gateways w/ large numbers of known
or possible endpoints.  But, it's not something that I would personally
advocate unless it really is essential.  If it were me, I'd tend toward:

DGarage.vxvml.<servername>:<ast_servername><ast_vmcontext><ast_vmailbox>

... realizing that this makes the canonical endpoint addressing a bit
more complex.  Limiting support to only one ast server avoids it; but,
it also is limiting.  (FWIW: I'd be personally interested in using your
gw if it does support multiple ast servers).

> I take your point about the dynamic endpoints in the Sub Address. I
> was worried about maintaining the UIDs for the folders & messages.
So
> I guess I can just address them in the message block. Having a device
> for the folder meant commands like DeleteAllMessages could be applied
> at the Device level without message block processing. However, if
> DisplayAllFolders for a MailBox is going to generate a xAP Message
> per folder then the context (FolderID) would be in the message block,
> so message block processing is going to be required anyway.
>
> An example of message block processing required is when the
> DisplayFolders (for Mailbox) command is executed and a xAP message is
> issued per folder indicating the MailBox, FolderName and number of
> VMail Messages.

I would assume that Mailbox is an endpoint. Foldername or Folderid might
well be embedded in the block name; I think that is preferable to
embedding into a block property.  I'm assuming/hoping that Kevin or
others will speak up here as well--especially if different or dissenting
opinions.

> Ideally, I would like James' HomeSeer Gateway to
> create and maintain me a HS Device that represents the number of
> Messages in a particular mailbox folder (as you can guess, I haven't
> thought that one through yet!). For info, those devices are then
> gatewayed out of HS and into MainLobby. An alternative might be to
> create a bespoke MainLobby plugin to process my xAP Messages -
> however, I loose the benenfit of having 'device' information in HS.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no useful insight here as I'm not a HS
or MainLobby user.