Re: Java applet - UDP or TCP?

  • Subject: Re: Java applet - UDP or TCP?
  • From: "Patrick" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 15:19:06 -0000

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, "estratosapiens"
<dberenguer@s...> wrote:

> Thanks, Kevin.
>
> I'm thinking in implementing a custom protocol for my application. I
> don't see the interest of using xAP with TCP and point to point
> communications.
>
> Daniel.

Hi Daniel,
A little late joining this thread, sorry.
I have done more-or-less what you are planning - but in my case, I
wanted to be able to change icons within a web page in response to
individual xAP messages (to show the status of lights, current
temperature and so) without the need to refresh the page.

The advantage of running xAP over the tcp connection in my case was
that it made the implementation much simpler - the udp-tcp bridge
doesn't need to know anything about the semantics of the individual
messages or introspect their content.

In your case, I guess it would depend on what you want to do with your
finished applet - but if it's something related to control or sensing
of xAP devices, then it would make sense to run with xAP all the way
to the application. Plus, the udp-tcp bridge bit is then already
written, so it would save you some work.

I hope that helps clarify why using xAP over tcp *might* be useful to you.

Patrick