Re: xAP Slim Connector

  • Subject: Re: xAP Slim Connector
  • From: Michael McSharry
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 02:48:00 +0000

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">I
would&nbsp; prefer to consider the Slim Connector and the SlimServer as
a single entity.&nbsp; The connector should do whatever is necessary to
manage the SlimServer to provide the requested information and
control.&nbsp; If SlimServer is not available then what value in the
system does the Slim Connector serve?&nbsp; That is what makes the XPL
integration into SlimServer attractive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">My
application that uses the Connector does treat the server and the connector
as two different entities, but it relies upon a non-Xap mechanism to launch
both the connector and the server.&nbsp; Since I do not do health
monitoring on the server, I must depend upon the Connector to provide this
functionality.&nbsp; If it can do it without my involvement then great,
but I suspect that this is not the general case.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">I vote to
receive a notification when the connector detects a missing
server.&nbsp; This allows me to manage the server.&nbsp; I see no
need to change from the current implementation with respect to waiting for
reconnection based upon directed messages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial"
size="2"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV><B>From:</B> <A title="lists@xxxxxxx"
href="mailto:lists@xxxxxxx";>Stuart
Booth</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A
title="xAP_developer@xxxxxxx" href="mailto:xAP_developer@xxxxxxx";>xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, February 15, 2004 3:02
PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> [xAP_developer] xAP Slim
Connector</DIV>
<DIV></DIV><TT>Having spent a bit of spare time this w/e
on it, at long last the xAPSlim Connector gracefully handles a failed
connection to theSlimServer (e.g when it crashes or is stopped by the
user).Some of the beta testers have noted this particular problem a
numberof times in recent weeks...In the GUI version at least, this also
allows you to swap theConnector between different SlimServers at runtime,
without the needto restart it anymore.Currently a failed connection will
only be reported on the displayoutput from the Connector when the next
Audio related xAP messagearrives and it fails to process the request.With
the GUI version you can graphically explore the messages that ledup to this
failure and even resend the message(s) directly from thedisplay. It's also
coincidentally a really great way to explore thexAP Audio Control Schema in
action.I really ought to send some kind of error message out at this
failurepoint though. For instance, you might be requesting information on
thecur
rent track (to touch on discussions from earlier this w/e), but ifthe
SlimServer has gone away, what do I return?!Anyway, as it happens the
Connector can actually detect the failedconnection immediately via the Slim
events listener.I'm in two minds as to whether or not to make the events
listenerreport the failed connection as soon it occurs. At the moment
itmerely silently stops and resumes later on.After the SlimServer is
restarted, the xAP Slim Connector will notre-establish a connection until
the next audio control xAP messagearrives and a (re)connection attempt is
explicitly made as a result.Thus the events listener won't spring back into
life until this pointeither which might be some time after the SlimServer
is availableagain. I daresay I could set things up to periodically go look
for theSlimServer and re-establish a connection asap, say on every
heartbeatinterval.Any preferences?Note that this build is not on the xFx
website yet.S-- Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>xAPFramework.net - a xAP
softwa
re development framework for .net<A href="http://www.xapautomation.org/";>http://www.xapautomation.org/</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A href="http://www.xapframework.net/";>http://www.xapframework.net/</A></TT>