Re: xAP / xPL Gateway

  • Subject: Re: xAP / xPL Gateway
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 23:59:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Booth" <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=m2t6PYxCq-eHIotAyWuWl6rNxUvl95lTvEmY5fLHa-xEqD041iKZ6kygfIh0laWH747Ocpv0bGPvu3jEJg">lists@x...</a>>
To: <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=dGkWvKznFJOvYMup0LfDOuMnREevq23ZY40ppmtR3ndx_5W933q2fe36krZnSG_zYgaAMLzgDMawiW4AHC5n6R0y4HQ">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: [xAP_developer] xAP / xPL Gateway

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=jWu91ujiemeW3q_xpCsmB2YR9I15qqvtOi_6JUeDwWSFIL0IioCDOikiZL9Z7RZGOenRlPKTsrbWYNkBThZSr_8">ian@w...</a>>
> wrote:
>
> >> In fact every single one of my applications can be the hub
too. I
> >> believe Keiran was doing much the same in his apps as it
happens.

> >Ahh, okay.
> >
> >well, a quick discussion later, and it looks likely that we will
build a
xAP
> >hub into the xPLHal engine. It already includes an xPL Hub, and as
xPLHal
> >runs as a windows service, and it is likely to simply cause
problems if
the
> >xAP hub may or may not be present, it probably makes sense for it
to be
> >embedded.
>
> What will happen if there is already a xAP Hub running on the system?

There shouldn't be ;)

> For myself I just made my apps attempt to start as a Hub and if it
> detects one already then it instead becomes a Hub Client. That way I
> just start my apps in any order and they all just work correctly.
>
> I can though opt to configure any to specifically and only start as
> either a Hub or as a HubClient, rather than detecting things
> automatically by default.

Well, the approach that we have taken in xPL is slightly more rigid. There
is one Hub on each PC, it's there all the time, and Apps only operate as
Hub
clients.

From an end user p.o.v. mucking about with "this app can be a
hub", or "this
is a hub app" etc, is (imo) just too much hassle. The Hub is installed
as a
seperate entity, and it's just there, as an always present service. Same
with Linux or Tivo in fact: the hubs are added into rc.sysinit, and are
there all the time.