Re: Re: Renaming of instances and SubInstances?

  • Subject: Re: Re: Renaming of instances and SubInstances?
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:34:00 +0000

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:54:53 +0100, "Kevin Hawkins"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=TRaDg-3VQUbPiMI0C90rKZH-ynmffUGk7yTu7kXOGBytHSjZPANH1Wf_qmAgYvyg63LGOVSqxGV519487w">lists@u...</a>>
wrote:

>- I was trying to draw attention to now and upcoming applications
Stuart -
>of course I assumed everyone knew about yours as they pioneered this
>territory !

Hey, I'm still hoping I can use subaddress values for my modular
applications!!

Incrementing the DeviceID field for each module is a wee tad clunky as
it means I have to adjust all my other apps to leave some room around
each DeviceID, rather than just setting the one application instance
and disregarding the number of plugin modules. I now leave distinct
ranges for my DeviceID values so that there's less risk of overlap,
but I need to establish a system of numbering as a consequence.

>Actually I have a question - a very fundamental one - came from a
remark
>James made - given that I have a device say
>
> acme.xapper.downstairs with 2 outputs that control lights
>
> acme.xapper.downstairs:TableLamp
>and acme.xapper.downstairs:CentreLight
>
> which do people feel is right within a Body section called output
>say
>
>output <<< This is how most people seem to go now
>{
>device=TableLamp
>state=ON
>}

Why do you specify the device in the message body rather than use the
target field?

> Bearing in mind the ordering of name value pairs is not defined -
>and indeed is reordered by some hubs currently ;-)

<Stuart waves at Kevin The Comedian ... he's funny he is!>

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=MVTkLswwY5kGBf5SHp_eGOTXPyt20HpuAI22ycWipdLi6ZH5yWQJt6rp52mlwVQRkKaVditdWVIOUL_8NIG7bh0">stuart@x...</a>