Re: Re: Vendor name for SlimDevices?

  • Subject: Re: Re: Vendor name for SlimDevices?
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:39:00 +0000

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:29:22 -0000, "Patrick Lidstone"
<<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=IGeW2-5vS2HYnx2RNL9mvRthpTDWaJr1yxh5JH6xT0PUr93klE8S2WQcxj8c0421_c464vLtypL6Hw">patrick@l...</a>>
wrote:

>> I felt it made sense to name the actual Slim player itself and
then
>> have the connector pick that up and do the rest.
>>
>> The name for my Slim player doesn't 'feel' right to be
>> "KCSoft.SliMP3.Office", as I'm not its vendor.
>
>I understand your sentiment, but there is a good reason for this
>approach - it avoids possible conflict between schema. If everyone
>who wrote a TiVo connector used Thomson as the vendor name, we would
>end up in a right pickle.

Hmmmm, yes, I take your point, but I have to admit I'm none too wild
about it at all. It seems that I'm compromising the clean lines of my
own xAP network setup for Joe User, unaware of what he's setting up.
I'm unlikely to go running multi-connectors for the same device and I
know the exact topology of the s/w installed.

It seems a shame to write code to target a software application, the
connector, rather than the device itself, the device being the
constant, the connector application (either native or a helper) being
random and subject to change.

If I ran DeveloperB's super-duper-shiny application that sends out
Display.SliMP3 messages, does that therefore not force me to also run
DeveloperB's connector application?? Configurability allowing, that
really forces me to write my own s/w for both if one doesn't quite do
as I require.

Should one be running multiple connectors (I daresay I might if one
the feature set of either connector overlapped but both offered unique
extras) then hopefully they'd each produce the shame results for the
overlap functionality.

Maybe the schema used should dictate the target addressing scheme too?

I'll change my code to react to xAP messages directed towards them,
but I'm going to leave in a switch for my own use to fill in for the
vendor ID too in lue of a native responder.

An interesting subtley, none-the-less.

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=TveR9BbqlfOh2i7NwIE-upbgVj8MjIHYmRPC5w2HklJI85TIhgtAYE6rAgSEYInp2Syxl4WI-GSHF843MFWp">stuart@s...</a>